White dead screens are usual glitches with the graphics settings and display systems on the Windows operating system. Users have been complaining about a completely white screen on the startup of the Windows laptop.
Additionally, the Windows system seems to be crashing on its startup. If you are thinking about how to fix white screen on Windows laptops or computer monitors, then we have got you.
According to laptop repair experts, the issue might have originated from a faulty display driver or defective graphics card. In addition to this, a malware attack can trigger the same issue.
Here’s what you should try to mitigate the white screen problem on your Windows laptop.
Force a Restart on your Windows System
If you are experiencing the white screen on your computer monitor, you should start with a restart. A reboot can fix the temporary glitch or incompatibility that your computer has encountered right now. You might have missed the original log-in page of Windows while entering your laptop’s interface.
Try force-rebooting your Windows device. Now, press and hold your system’s Power button for a while. Release your finger when your computer has performed a restart successfully. Now, boot your Windows device and inspect if you come across the same white screen again on startup.
Examine your Computer Drivers
Users have confessed that outdated graphics card drivers can cause a white screen on your laptop’s monitor. Therefore, you can solve the problem by updating the computer graphics drivers.
But, your computer might not boot normally due to the white screen of death scenario. You need to enter Safe Mode before you seek help for updating drivers.
Go through the following instructions to access Safe Mode:
- Restart your Windows PC and hold the Power button when the Windows logo appears.
- You need to repeat the same restart process several times. After a definite number of trials, you will be able to come across a blue screen with some dedicated options.
- Choose the ‘Troubleshoot/ Advanced options/ Startup settings’ option. Go for the Restart button.
- Next time, your Windows PC restarts, and you need to choose the option that says, ‘Safe Mode with Networking’.
And, now, here’s how you can update your Windows laptop’s drivers:
- Move the cursor to the Windows icon on your desktop and right-click on it.
- A context menu will appear, and you need to select the Device Manager option.
- When the Device Manager window opens, you have to locate the graphics card drivers on your desktop. Click on them to expand them.
- Right-click on every driver and click the Update Driver option from the pop-up menu.
- You need to wait for a while when the drivers are updating.
When the update is over, you can reboot your computer. If Windows doesn’t allow you to update your laptop’s graphics drivers in this way, you have to visit the official support site of the driver manufacturer. And, you have to download corresponding drivers and install them on your computer manually.
Go for the Hardware Troubleshooter
If the previous solution doesn’t work for you, then don’t worry. Running the hardware troubleshooter can help your computer from causing the same issue.
However, try booting in Safe Mode if normal booting isn’t available to you. Go through the following steps:
- Click the Start button and hit the gear-shaped icon or Settings.
- Go to the section named Updates & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left pane of the Settings window.
- Click the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter from the window’s right pane and let it run.
After it finishes troubleshooting hardware and other related devices, you can restart your Windows PC. Check if the white screen issue is resolved or not.
Scan your Windows Laptop for Bugs and Issues
There’s a useful command that can help your Windows laptop recover the white screen on startup. You have to launch a Command Prompt window and run a specific command.
Here is the detailed guideline that you need to follow:
- Head towards the Windows icon and right-click on it. Click the Command Prompt (Admin) option from the menu.
- When the Command Prompt window comes on the screen, type the following command and hit the Enter key: sfc/ scannow.
- You need to wait for the scanning to be completed. It can consume enough time as it’s a deep scan of your Windows system.
Now, you need to restart your Windows laptop and examine if the white screen appears again on your Windows device.
Try System Restore
If you are still dealing with the white screen on your laptop, then you might have to go for a system restore. Perform the following guidelines on your problematic computer:
- Try restarting your computer multiple times till you can notice the blue screen.
- Select the ‘Troubleshoot/ Advanced options/ System Restore’ option, among other options.
- Choose the definite user account along with the password. Proceed with the Next button.
- Check the box next to ‘Show more restore points’ if available.
- After that, you have to choose the timeline you want to restore on your Windows PC.
- Click the Next button and follow the instructions appearing on your Windows computer.
The issue should have vanished if you had successfully restored your PC to another timeline when there was no issue, such as white screen death.
Modify your Computer’s Registry
Start entering Safe Mode on your computer and open a Run dialog box. Enter ‘regedit’ in the Run dialog box and click the OK button. Once you are on the window of the Registry Editor, navigate to the file path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Locate the Shell string on the window’s right pane and right-click on it.
Choose the Delete option and hit the Yes button once prompted. After you’ve deleted the registry value, you have to restart the PC. If this doesn’t fix the white screen issue on startup, then check the graphics card manually.
You might need an expert’s help; it might need a replacement. You can replace the graphics card, and this might solve the problem. But, it’s an expensive solution, so make sure that you apply this when there’s no way out.